As organizations adapt to rapidly changing business requirements, cloud adoption has soared. As part of the cloud migration journey, security teams are faced with the challenge of protecting hybrid or multi-cloud environments, as well as securing data spread across network devices and applications. For organizations using the Amazon Web Services (AWS) platform, Fortinet offers various native integrations and solutions to further secure AWS workloads.
Whether you’re expanding your AWS footprint, securing hybrid-cloud assets, or currently migrating to AWS, security should remain top of mind rather than an afterthought. Business and technology leaders know their most valuable assets—applications and data— are vulnerable to cyber-attacks. Fortinet’s Adaptive Cloud Security solutions delivers advanced security to protect these business-critical assets.
More Threats, More Damage – Prevent Cybersecurity Threats with AWS
The threat landscape is growing with the proliferation of network devices, Internet of Things (IoT) devices, mobile devices, eCommerce, web applications, and vendor portals. Meanwhile, cybersecurity threats involving malware, cryptocurrency, and botnet activity are extremely sophisticated and continue to evolve. Cybercriminals are smarter and more dangerous using scripted attacks that improve their speed and scale.
The damage ranges from lost productivity, breach of confidential data, and data loss to reputation damages. And, ransom demands continue to increase, with one recent high-profile victim paying $5 million to recover their data.
Why is Cybersecurity Still a Challenge?
Securing highly distributed networks – particularly those filled with remote workers, dynamically changing environments, and IoT devices – require continuous security updates against known, unknown, and zero-day attacks to safeguard dynamic attack surfaces. Cloud-based applications are prevalent in every enterprise and are vulnerable to threats as well as compliance issues.
Plus, maintaining network visibility, orchestrating security policies, and consistently enforcing controls have become particularly challenging due to near-constant digital innovation over the last few years.
Migrate to the Cloud on AWS with Confidence
Together, Fortinet and AWS partner to deliver Adaptive Cloud Security solutions for the flexibility and confidence you need to run business-critical applications in the cloud. The Fortinet Security Fabric natively integrates into AWS to provide single-pane-of-glass management, full visibility, and broad protection across the attack surface through security automation to reduce risk and complexity.
The Fortinet Security Fabric that protects your AWS infrastructure and workloads integrates the latest threat intelligence from our in-house threat research group, FortiGuard Labs, which ingests millions of security events every day. Fortinet’s FortiGuard Labs leverages machine learning to produce actionable threat intelligence to track and stop threats that evade conventional firewalls.
Fortinet has teamed up with AWS to help you embrace the cloud with confidence. Your AWS infrastructure and workloads experience real-time protection with continuous security updates against known, unknown, and zero-day attacks.
Security for Every AWS Use Case
Fortinet provides a broad set of natively integrated security solutions for full visibility, advanced threat defense, and centralized management in the cloud for every use case:
- Building net-new on AWS: Build new cloud-based projects or access AWS infrastructure with the highest level of security. Fortinet provides a broad set of natively integrated security solutions for full visibility, advanced threat defense, and centralized management for new cloud projects.
- Fortinet Managed IPS rules enable you to enhance AWS Network Firewall protection of your Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (Amazon VPC) with simple-to-deploy, predefined intrusion protection policies for common attack scenarios. Leveraging threat intelligence from FortiGuard Labs, Fortinet Managed IPS Rules bring advanced threat protection.
- Fortinet Managed WAF rulesets for AWS WAF allow you to quickly and easily establish more robust security controls with AWS WAF without adding management or architectural complexity. These rulesets are based on FortiWeb WAF security service signatures and are updated on a regular basis to include the latest threat information from FortiGuard Labs.
- FortiGate-VM Next Generation Firewall integration with AWS Gateway Load Balancer removes the need for do-it-yourself automation and helps secure your Amazon VPC environments while improving high availability and scaling. FortiGate-VM also provides robust connectivity features, including high performance IPSec VPN, SSL VPN, and SD-WAN, plus rich security features such as intrusion prevention, deep packet inspection, web filtering, anti-malware protection, and VDOM enabled segmentation.
- Fortinet consulting services provide a blueprint for designing and implementing advanced security across your AWS. environments, network, and applications. This service also offers security assessments of your AWS deployments to enhance your overall security posture and remediate any existing misconfigurations.
- Application security: Deploy web applications in AWS using Fortinet’s web application security, FortiWeb WAF, to improve your cloud security posture. Fortinet uses machine learning to protect public cloud-hosted web applications from the OWASP Top Ten, zero-day threats, and other application-layer attacks.
- Fortinet Managed WAF rulesets for AWS WAF enable you to quickly and easily establish more robust security controls based on FortiWeb WAF security service signatures that are updated on a regular basis to include the latest threat information from FortiGuard Labs.
- For organizations that need additional security controls for web applications and APIs, FortiWeb Cloud WAF-as-a-Service—Fortinet’s cloud-based SaaS web application firewall—uses machine learning to protect public cloud-hosted web applications from the OWASP Top Ten, zero-day threats, and other application-layer attacks. Requiring no hardware or software, colonies of FortiWeb WAF gateways run in most AWS regions and enable organizations to scrub application traffic within the same region their applications reside, addressing performance and regulation concerns, as well as keeping traffic cost to a minimum. FortiWeb is also available as a VM for IaaS deployments.
- Building or connecting hybrid solutions on AWS: Move to the cloud at your own pace and keep your hybrid environments secure. Fortinet delivers comprehensive visibility and control from on-premises to the AWS cloud.
- Fortinet Security Fabric and Adaptive Cloud Security solutions deliver comprehensive visibility and protection through the Shared Responsibility Model from on premises to the AWS Cloud. Natively integrated security functionality across AWS services such as Amazon GuardDuty, AWS Security Hub, and AWS Outposts helps strengthen your security posture across your hybrid use cases.
- FortiGate Next-Generation Firewalls (NGFWs) provide secure connectivity, network segmentation, and application security for hybrid-cloud-based deployments. Ensure centralized, consistent security policy enforcement and application-centric, resilient connectivity through a high-performance VPN or SD-WAN architectures.
- Simplify security management across hybrid environments with FortiManager, which provides single-pane-of-glass management across the entire extended enterprise—including Fortinet NGFWs, switches, wireless infrastructure, and endpoints.
- And finally, FortiAnalyzer allows you to analyze, report, and archive security events, network traffic, web content, and messaging data to help simplify compliance tasks.
Better Together with Fortinet and AWS
The partnership between Fortinet and AWS ensures your workloads on AWS are protected by industry-leading security solutions powered by comprehensive threat intelligence and more than 20 years of cybersecurity experience. Integrations with key AWS services simplify security management and enable automation, ensure full visibility across environments, and provide broad protection across your workloads and applications.
Learn more about optimizing your cloud security with Fortinet and AWS.
Enable comprehensive app and network security for your AWS workloads today with FortiGate Next-Generation Firewall. Learn more about our free 30-day trial.
Learn how Fortinet’s adaptive cloud security solutions provide the necessary visibility and control across cloud infrastructures, enabling secure applications and connectivity from data center to cloud.